A Tale of Two Centuries; Trials and Tribulations of the Bike Tour

Sunday June 17, 2019.           Richmond, IN to Marysville, OH.                         107 miles
Ascent/Descent= 2,182/2,252 feet                                               Cumulative= 2,708 miles

Monday June 18, 2019.         Marysville, OH to Wooster, OH.                            105 miles
Ascent/Descent= 4,470/4,567 feet.                                              Cumulative= 2,813 miles

Tuesday June 19, 2019.          Wooster,OH to Niles, OH.                                      94 miles
Ascent/Decent= 3,347/3,283 feet.                                               Cumulative= 2,907 miles

Wednesday June19, 2019.          Niles, OH to Erie, A.                                              90 miles
Ascent/Descent= 1,634/2,005 feet.                                             Cumulative= 2,997 miles

Thursday June20, 2019.                   Last of 5 rest days



I apologize that I neglected to hit the publish button after I wrote my "most recent" post, "'On to Champaign and a Rest Day". As a result it is out of order, and should have preceded the two posts listed below it. Sorry for any confusion.  Also to those of you who have been checking for my update daily I apologize for my delinquency.  My excuses are contained herein.

In the four days of riding since my last post we have covered 396 miles (Avg= 99 miles/day). In the 7 days since our last rest day we have biked 606 miles.  So there's that.

Furthermore I was plagued by recurrent and persistent problems with a flaccid and outright flat rear tire. I had a total of 4 flats, I think, or it could have been 5 flat rear tires, none of which were associated with any evidence of foreign bodies in the tire, new trauma to the tire or other cause for the flats. This is never a good thing. So, after arriving in Wooster, Ohio after my second consecutive century, we replaced the old tire, which seemed likely to correct the problem, except that I had 2 more flats on the way to Niles, OH.  Still no obvious explanation for the persistence of the recurrent flats.  Therefore, although there was no obvious problem with the rim tape (a thick tape that covers the openings where the spokes go through the wheel to be attached to the wheel).  Good news!! No flats on the 90 mile ride into a well needed rest day in Erie,PA at a beautiful hotel and a room with a great view of Lake Erie.  Best of all my wife,Kathy, met me minutes after I arrived at the hotel! I had not seen her since May 8th.

Excuse me while I whine a little bit more.  This was the first time that we have pedaled over 100 miles/day (Sunday-Tueday) for 3 consecutive days since the desert in California and Arizona, and I had never done that before this trip.  My fellow travelers are an amazing bunch in every way, and would never pass me by if I needed help, but after missing only one turn in the prior 2,700 miles, I missed a couple, maybe 3 turns during my run of flats, so that I was behind everybody for a significant amount of time.  The CrossRoads crew is stellar, in fact young Peyton, firefighter and bike mechanic, with no apparent end to his energy, rode 9 miles out to meet me on a bike path (and 9 miles back)into Niles,OH after I ran out of CO2 cartridges and spare tubes fixing my last flat.  I had called Paula co-owner of CrossRoads just to report what had transpired and to update them on my situation, and notify them that I would be a little  late pulling in.  I didn't ask for Paula to come or to have Peyton come, however, after Paula explained my situation to Peyton who understood that there was limited access to the trail, he insisted on riding out to meet me with necessary supplies and then rode back with me for moral support.  When Paula called me to let me know that Peyton was riding out to meet me, I, stupidly, said he didn't need to do that she said, "Don't worry he's young and strong."  Yes he is!My hero!  Changing tires by yourself in the rain (Oh yeah we had rain for part of each day too) is disheartening, particularly near the end of  100 + miles with repeated climbs with 11% or more grades, as was the case riding into Wooster.  Being the last one in by up to 2 hours two days in  row is disheartening, but I can't tell out how great it was to have Peyton meet me.

Aside from Kathy meeting me in Errie, another highlight during this long difficult stretch.was my brother and sister-in-law, Jackie and Jerry McKenna, and their daughter Jeannie, and her children, Layden and Coen met me in Marysville after a 107 mile day, Fathers Day, and took me their Country Club for the best meal I have had in at least a month.  Thank you Jackie and Jerry!

It was really great to see them all. As we enjoyed our meals, they peppered me with questions about my trip, and one question from Jerrry really stuck in my mind, especially as I was struggling with rain, flat tires, hills,and big distances: "What made you think that you could do this".  I don't remember what I told Jerry, but I decided during the difficult days that followed that the real answer is:  Enormous ego.   Jackie also commented that she was glad that it was me and not her making this trip, and I said, "Me too".

Nothing that happened to me in the last week should have been unexpected. I knew the itinerary, flats and rain happen, I had a pretty good idea about the terrain we would encounter, and I know unexpected things happen.  These are the things that provide the adventure.  They're certainly not all enjoyable in the moment, but they are some of the things that I will remember best. If it was easy, everybody would do it.

I love this trip.

Comments

  1. this is one of my favorite posts. i love your mindset, after you're removed from the challenges you encounter and had time to reflect on the trials and tribulations of this big adventure. also -- thank you Peyton!!! keep grinding. love, Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Alex. Yes, it's not always easy to appreciate all of the challenges in the moment, but it is an incredible experience.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Almost Home Then On to Boston

The Tour Winds Down